Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Arm update

Healing very well apparently.

I saw the surgeon for a follow-up visit last week. He was shocked that I had regained nearly all of the motion in my arm--full extension and full bend. He didn't think I'd ever get close. I'm glad he didn't tell me that a few weeks ago when the cast came off.

I have to see him again in a couple of weeks for one last visit, but for now he says I can do whatever I want with the arm, as long as there is no pain. It still won't hold my weight, or much weight for that matter. It will be a while before I regain full strength, but I managed a 4 pound dumb bell yesterday. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I still remember how my arm trembled when I tried 1 pound just four weeks ago.

My elbow still hasn't turned all the way back into its proper position--ie, the joint still looks a bit odd--but I am told that this is mostly due to atrophy in the muscles and that as they strengthen the elbow will look more normal.

I see the physical therapy doctor for an evaluation today. I think he will be very happy with my progress. I'm way ahead of schedule, so he better be. :-) Maybe I'll try 5 pounds, just to see if I can do it.

Off to my appointment now. Then home to do stair climbing (yuck--I'd much prefer a steep climb in the woods) and home strength training.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katharine Eliska Kimbriel said...

Sounds like you are doing great! But you still don't have an RSS feed, do you? (I will comb the site, just in case...) Are you getting any writing done? I'm actually into chapter three of the new Allie, started the Curse book, and wrote an obscene amount of notes on the Spider Goddess world I abandoned years ago (as we now know, due to illness.) Apparently my subconscious needed to get all that out!

Now -- should I try reading the work that you are posting? Or wait until it's finished?

6:37 PM  
Blogger zara elis said...

RSS feed...well I went over to LJ last time you asked to see if I could remember how I hooked up another blogger account to feed in there. I couldn't find what I did, but I will check again.

Am I writing? Well, yes sort of. The progress listing in the sidebar for the novel, is just a listing. There are no links. I will be working very rapidly on a bible for an anthology in June.

I've been thinking about digging out the novel and going over the chapters that currently exist to see where I'm at and maybe figure out exactly where it's going...I really should learn how to outline.

The Dr. told me today that it looks like next week will be my last week of physical therapy. I also have my last appointment with the surgeon on Monday. It will be several months, maybe a year before I regain full strength in my arm, but I do have full mobility.

It's good to see you working and feeling well again. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Another Allie book sounds wonderful. And I've always wondered where the Spider Goddess world would take you.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home