Sunday, April 29, 2007

May's Proposed Training Schedule

Ok, so at this point I actually don't know if I will be able to join the Mont Blanc trek in September, but I still want to train for it as best I can.

I have put down my deposit and made certain that it is transferable to another trek should I need to substitute an easier or shorter hike. I have until June 21 to make that decision. The factors that will influence that decision are how I feel about my preparation, my doctor's recommendations and my roommate. Yes, my roommate. He would like to try his hand at a trek, but is not certain that he can manage one as difficult as a two week Mont Blanc hike. So, he is also looking at shorter, less difficult treks. Since, I, of course, have gotten him into this, I will not abandon him to travel on his own. (I don't like to travel on my own either, though I am perfectly capable of it.) I am, however, encouraging him to get better hiking shoes asap as well as custom orthotics--he has flat feet. And I need to get around to picking up a light weight, but strong, trekking pole. I can't continue to use my roommates shoulder whenever I hit a section in the trail where I need to put weight on my left arm to balance myself.

Maybe I'll encourage him to work on his uphill stamina as well.

Uphill Stamina Training::

May Training
enlarge

2 Comments:

Blogger David M Gordon said...

"... is not certain that he can manage one as difficult as a two week Mont Blanc hike..."

Your room-mate should make a closer inspection of that trek's actual schedule. Although its duration is 2 weeks, it also includes so many rest days as to be more exhausting from laying about than actual physical exhaustion.

Oh, and about that physical exhaustion -- is there a feeling as good as testing your limits and going beyond them?

9:12 AM  
Blogger zara elis said...

Hello stranger. Nice to hear from you again!

Oh, I completely agree. I love setting challenges for myself and testing my limits. If I don't succeed, I simply become all the more determined to do so the next time out. But I, as you well know, can be just a little bit determined (a nice way of saying extremely stubborn). My trainer and the physical therapist have figured that out over the last few weeks as well.

My room-mate has been out of town all but two weeks out of the last two months and is once again not home. So we have had little time to discuss the trek or his concerns. Maybe he should talk to you. :-)

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home