Thursday, December 01, 2005

Claddagh rings

Anyone know how to wear these rings?

It's research for a story--I want to be certain I get it right.

I did Google it. Where else would I look? But the results I found held conflicting information. That, and I am not certain what the definitions of heart pointing in and heart pointing out mean. Hearts don't really point, do they? Well, unless they mean the point on the heart. It seems to me that directions would be much more easily given if they referred to the crown instead of the heart.

This is the best version of the description that I have seen most often, and that I remember as being the correct method--yes I wore one of these many years ago.

"Worn on the right hand, with crown and heart facing out, the ring tells that the wearer's heart is yet to be won. While under love's spell it is worn with heart and crown facing inwards. Wearing the ring on the left hand, with the crown and heart facing inwards, signifies that your love has been requited."

But I have also seen exactly the opposite description.

Anyone else have any input?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard mostly the same--that the point in is holding the love of someone special, and if worn on the left hand, meant someone held your heart. Remember that our ancestors (at least in a large number of Western cultures) believed that there was a vein that ran directly to the heart from the third left finger.

(I know--where do they come up with these things? But I was reminded recently that the Big Bang theory was ridiculed as recently as the early sixties...)

Orthodox Greeks wear the ring on the right third finger, I vaguely remember....

Actually giving myself some time off from usual worries to tackle backlogged newsgroups and other sliding concerns. Now, have been distracted by Internet long enough--back to work!

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home