Monday, October 17, 2005

Yet another movie

Yes, I only saw one this weekend. Unusual for me, I know.

Elizabethtown.

Actually, I'm not certain I can say much about this unusual romance movie without giving away too much of the story. I will say it was enjoyable, and the family reminded me a lot of my own--well, if my family was southern instead of Idaho German. Even the funeral/memorial preparations were familiar--ok, so what happened at the graveside service was a little different at my grandmother's funeral (the priest fell into the grave--well nearly--one of my uncles caught him before he toppled completely in). Funerals are not sad in my family. They are a wonderful, happy time. A celebration. My grandmother's was more so than most.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the movie captures a believable family and a believable romance, though the romance might move along a little faster (for the sake of the movie) than it would have in real life.

And now I have two movies, completely different and unrelated though they may be, that I can point to and say--"if you want to know what my family is like, see these"--Elizabethtown and My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING--the movie. They made a mess of the TV show. Why did she buckle to some idiot's desire to have the husband become an unemployed bum, or so I heard? It left so fast I never saw it.

Sounds like I might like "Elizabethtown". Did K like it, or is it not a guy flick?

10:36 PM  
Blogger zara elis said...

It's not really the same as BFGW--ie, you won't be laughing through the whole thing, but, yes, K liked it and kept jabbing me in the ribs to tell me that this was my family.

I've never really quite understood the definitions of chick flick and guy flick, but there's definitely no "blow-em-up" action. This is more an emotional movie.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home