Sunday, September 18, 2005

Today I did something I never do

--well, rarely ever do. I bought myself a gift. And while I feel guilty about having done so--I always do--I will enjoy it. I've wanted a 12 string guitar, probably since I was 12. Today, for no reason in particular, I decided it was time to fulfill that wish. I still can't believe I did it.

It doesn't have the dark mellow tones of a Martin, or the brighter tones of the Larrivee--which I prefer--, but I think the Seagull S12+ is an excellent compromise. So, just this once, I didn't follow the advice my father gave me years ago--I didn't buy the best I could afford. My playing skills and needs simply don't require it. (Besides, I have a camera habit to support.) And I really have no musical talent, I just like to play around. You will never catch me playing for an audience, no matter how small--not willlingly anyway. But the dog and the bird don't seem to mind all my klinkers--they sleep while I play. I'm not certain if that's a compliment or an insult, but I don't really care.

Today I play until my fingers are too sore to touch the strings.

3 Comments:

Blogger David Forbes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:02 AM  
Blogger David Forbes said...

As someone who gave up all pretense of musical talent a long time ago, all I can say is enjoy!

What happened to the Scotland photos? I've been waiting eagerly for them to appear...

5:24 PM  
Blogger zara elis said...

Thank you. I am definitely enjoying the new guitar. I can actually manage a clumsy fingerpicked version of Greensleeves at the moment, along with a couple of other songs.

I know, I'm taking a very long time to get to the Scotland photos. I will get them posted, I'm just not certain when. There are so many to go through, but I finally have them sorted by site. The few that have been posted were with the help of David Gordon, who, out of the kindness of his heart, did the editing. He's also patiently waiting for me to post more.

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home