Monday, October 03, 2005

Sock Fairy??

Can someone tell me where all the socks go?

I swear, I buy new socks every month and within one or two washings I only have one sock per pair. Sometimes the complete pair disappears after only one wearing.

You'd think that if I bought two identical pairs I would have one complete pair left after the other two socks disappeared. Not so. Buy two pairs and three of the four socks disappear.

I swear there must be a sock demon building a nest under the house somewhere--or is it a sock eating demon. All I know is I can't replace those little foot warmers as fast as they disappear. With the number of pairs of socks I've bought over the past 7 years, you'd think that the house would be busting at the seams, with multi-coloured holey toes sticking out every window. But no, there's rarely a sock to be seen.

Personally, I think the puppy has been sneaking them outside and burying them. It's only my socks that disappear though. My very male roommate never seems to lose a pair.

Sock Fairy? Sock Eating Demon? Sock Worshipping and Stealing Aliens from the 4th dimension? Whatever, whomever the culprit, the disappearance and kidnapping, possibly murdering of hundreds of socks is real.

Oh where, where have all the socks gone?

4 Comments:

Blogger David Forbes said...

Did you ever see the underpants gnomes show on "South Park"? I think that may offer a clue to this mystery....

12:05 PM  
Blogger zara elis said...

Nope. But I did look it up. :-)

I always wondered what Santa's elves did on their off time. And now I am really curious how my sock stealers are making a profit off my stinky used footwear.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Set up a feed to your Live Journal!

You've never heard Avram Davidson's theory of the sock drawer,I take it. He actually wrote a short story about it. I haven't read that story, but as I understand it, socks are actually the larval stage of coat hangers. Ever notice how you eventually have WAY more hangers than your dry cleaning habits can explain? Then then the final, adult form is the bicycle--thus explaining how that tangle of bikes in the garage got there...

10:53 AM  
Blogger zara elis said...

Yes Maam! Always do what the teacher says, especially if she's one of your closest friends. I've been thinking about linking to my live journal account, I just haven't gotten to it yet. I will soon, I promise.

Besides, more people will be able to find me that way, hunh.

Hangers? They seem to disappear around here almost as fast as socks. Of course, we only have the plastic ones, which Princess thinks are handy dandy chew toys--yes she is a very spoiled pup--and I think my roommate must snack on them, because whenever he uses them more seem to disappear.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home