Sunday, October 09, 2005

One to see, and one maybe not

I saw two movies this weekend--not certain why. One I liked, the other I really didn't care for.

If you are a fan of Firefly, or even if you're not, I recommend Serenity. It is a fun, diverting sf movie that left me smiling in the end and never once lost my attention. The thought of snoozing through this one never once crossed my mind. If you haven't seen it yet, do.

The movie I wish I had been able to sleep through this weekend? Flight Plan. This had the potential of being a good movie, but the first half was simply too long, slow and repetitive for me. I actually considered walking out of the theater, and would have if the person I was with hadn't appeared to be enjoying the movie. He later agreed with me--the first half needed editing and should have been shorter. We rarely agree by the way. The last third was much better though.

The one thing that really bothered my friend and I , as engineers, was that Jodi Foster--supposedly and engine designer--knew every square inch of the jets design. This simply would not be the case. But if you let that slide, and you don't mind the first half of the movie stretching on forever, it is still possible to enjoy the tale.

7 Comments:

Blogger David Forbes said...

I haven't seen Flight Plan (and probably won't), but I really liked Serenity and plugged it in my own blog. It's a shame it's not doing better at the box office, because I would love a few more movies with these characters or (better yet) a revival of the series, which I didn't catch until it was on DVD.

8:08 AM  
Blogger zara elis said...

The showing I went to last night was full, but that could have been just a fluke.

If you don't own the DVD, you can watch the show on SCIFI. That's what my roommate is planning to do. So, there is at least one new convert. Yippee!

10:09 AM  
Blogger David Forbes said...

I rented Firefly from Netflix and liked it so much I bought the set. It's really a great show, and a shame it got cancelled.

Have you seen the show or not? If you haven't, you'll be delighted by how much of Shepherd Book and Wash are highlighted in the show. The Shepherd was a really interesting character with a history never revealed -- the current buzz online is that he was once an Operative like the assassin in the film. And the series really shows what a great couple Wash and Zoe were. If you haven't seen the show, enjoy!

3:17 PM  
Blogger zara elis said...

Nope, haven't actually had a chance to see the series, but I am looking forward to it.

Though given the time it's on, we're probably going to have to remember to set the vcr.

4:53 PM  
Blogger David Forbes said...

VCR? You mean you don't have Tivo...?!
:-)

6:33 PM  
Blogger David M Gordon said...

I, too, saw and enjoyed Serenity. Have yet to catch Flight Plan, however, despite my high regard of Jodie Foster as an actor.

2:48 PM  
Blogger zara elis said...

Well, hello stranger. Nice to see you here. :-)

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home