Thursday, July 13, 2006

Stuff

It's been a very busy few weeks, and it looks like it's going to get worse.

The trip to France is finally starting to feel real. It's about time, since we only have about a month and a half before we leave. My sleeping bag should arrive soon. It compresses down fairly small, but I picked up a set of compression caps to see if I could make it just a wee bit smaller yet. I still have a lot of things to gather together for the trip. Did you know it's possible to wear out hiking socks? I didn't. But I have done just that, so I will need to buy new ones for the trip.

And then there's the camera equipment. How many lenses to take...as few as possible with as much range as possible. The ideal would be one, but I think it will be two. And, since I won't have my laptop along to download my memory cards every night, I will need to figure out how much memory to take along as well. Luckily, compact flash cards are very light.

All I have really managed to do so far is make a list of everything that I will need to take on the trip. I still have to double check that list. I will need a new travelling bag. The bulk of my sleeping bag will determine what size.

I haven't had much time to think about the trip at all, to be honest. I decided last week to accept a new position at work. One of my coworkers is moving to Montana to teach high school, and a replacement was needed for his position. I feel a bit like a vulture, but they needed someone who was at least familiar with the job, was willing to work very hard, and was willing to study until their brain was raw and still study even more. That, apparently, is me. So for now, and for some long time in the future, the first thing I think about in the morning, the last thing I think about at night, and, unfortunately, the only thing I dream about all night will be what I need to do next for the new position.

Meanwhile, I have 6 days left to pick my almost former coworker's brain dry. And he, in turn, is in the process of training my backup--a new employee who is basically panicked. Do you suppose I should have waited a few more weeks to tell the poor guy that come September he's going to be on his own for nearly a month? :-)

Next week I have to attend an awards banquet, and I have a round table with the head of our company. I have no idea how I ended up on that round table panel, but I have a sneaking suspicion that my manager had something to do with it.

I have no idea why the speed limit on my life suddenly decided to aim at breaking the light barrier, but it has.

What would I really like to have right now? Sleep, lot's of sleep. Oh, and someone to manage and organize my life outside of work. Yes, I know, I'm not going to get either, and I probably would hate the latter, but I can dream can't I? Oh, well, I guess I can't--I'd be dreaming about work. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home