Sunday, May 28, 2006

Once again...

We went hiking on the Upper Arroyo Seco trail again yesterday. Or we attempted to anyway. To put it lightly, after the recent floods, cold snap and storms the trail has become a bit more challenging. It is overgrown in several places, making it difficult to push past the plants (some are very sharp--I have the cuts to prove it) and keep our feet solidly on the trail. The trail has also crumbled in places. And that was just on the ridge. In the valleys, the rocks and logs for crossing the stream have all shifted, so forging was challenging, but at least the water level was down.

Remembering the water levels the last time we attempted this trail, and thinking ahead to the possibility of a friend (who claims not to be a confindent boulder hopper--who is) hiking with us in the near future, I picked up a couple of hiking poles earlier in the week. Although I have never used them I have seen how much easier they can make stream fording. Hey, the poles are light and if they can make the difference between deciding which direction to fall, into neck deep water or knee deep, or not falling at all--well, I won't use them often, but staying dry is usually more comfortable than hiking while soaked.

Anyway, the trail condition was such that we had to stop a mile or two short of Oakwilde campground. We simply ran out of time. So we turned around early and didn't complete the hike. This 5 hour trail seems to have become a 6 to 7 hour trail at the moment. In a couple of weeks that could completely change, and it could be a 5 hour trail again. Someone goes through and does trail clearing from time to time, though I am considering bringing some light weight garden clippers along next time. Of course, getting my hiking partners to take a few less photos would help speed things up too.

No sore muscles or anything this morning, but I really do need to get in some more incline work. I would prefer that the first day on the trail in France be easier than expected, rather than a real killer. :-)


Yes, I have photos to share, when don't I. But I am at home today, with access to dial-up only, so the photos will have to wait until I am at a faster link.

Photos to arrive soon

10 Comments:

Blogger David M Gordon said...

Zara,

Those suggested times really are for the infirm, and those lacking firmness of physical conditioning. You should better those times by 30-50%.

Perhaps next time try the hike sans camera equipment. And push the limits of your endurance; increase your pace. And the time after that, increase again your pace. Always faster!

Now would be as good a time as any -- better, in truth -- to discover your limits.

1:09 PM  
Blogger zara elis said...

Oh, I agree. And I would like to go faster, but my hiking partner has a tendency to lag behind. I'm forever waiting for him, and his camera, to catch up. I can't seem to convince him that he's slowing us down.

The one photo I took was when I had been waiting for him to catch up so long that I was beginning to wonder if he had fallen off the ridge somewhere and I was going to have to back track to find out what had happened to him. I had my camera along only to get accustomed to the added weight in my pack. I wasn't even certain the battery was charged. :-)

Hmmm, a 15-20 minute mile on this trail? The 20 is probably doable. I have my doubts about the 15, though I'm certain you could do it.

Me on the other hand, I'm just a big flabby donut with a soft mushy center and no hole. I'm lucky if I can make it around the block in less than half an hour.

3:10 PM  
Blogger David M Gordon said...

Well then, I guess we will find out soon enough about the state of your conditioning. I sincerely doubt you are pacing at 3mph, however; even I have a problem exceeding 2mph on a rugged, loose-footing, uphill trail.

And when you are scrambling through the scree and maquis of France, you will quickly appreciate the training you do today. Trust me on that score. So hoof it! Carry weight, yes, but pick up your pace.

8:16 PM  
Blogger zara elis said...

Oh, I didn't say I could do a 3 mi/hr on this trail. I just said it was probably doable.

6:43 AM  
Blogger David M Gordon said...

Here is an objective albeit secondary measure of your training success -- you should lose 1-2% of body weight/week. Because women lose weight at a slower pace than men, factor that down to ~1%. If that level of weight loss is not occurring, then your training is insufficiently rigorous.

4:57 PM  
Blogger zara elis said...

Or my diet needs changing. :-)

Actually, this agrees with my own weight loss goals (pound-wise) over the next two months

4:40 AM  
Blogger David M Gordon said...

Huh? The "next two months"...? What of your effort over the past 4+ months? A weight loss of 1%/week calculates as ~20-30lbs. Certainly you have something to show for all your effort during that time?

7:20 AM  
Blogger zara elis said...

I have two possible answers--

1)Yes, I'm much rounder. I should roll down hill very well. Of course, I'll have to find someone to roll me up the hill first. Want to volunteer?

or

2) 35 pounds. Not that I can tell, and if it's gone I certainly can't show it to anyone.

Now, which is the truth, (1) or (2)? Or am I just full of it? You figure it out. :-)

3:04 PM  
Blogger David M Gordon said...

I choose what's behind Door #2. Congratulations.

8:13 PM  
Blogger zara elis said...

Thank you. Though, like I said, I can't tell the difference. Odd that everyone else seems to be able to, and I have to step on a scale to even notice.

Ah well, maybe by the next time you see me it will be more obvious.

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home