Friday, January 18, 2008

More photos coming soon

More photos are about to be posted to my photo site. (Ok, it could be a few days yet.) Part one of the rest day. What do you do when you’re on trek and a rest day comes up? Why more hiking, of course. In our case we decided to visit Le Praz and Aguille du Midi. The photos from the afternoon at Aguille du Midi are posted. Those from the trail to Le Praz will join them shortly.

And now, according to my trainer, it’s time to pick a new goal. That means selecting a new trek. Since I don’t actually have any one specific destination in mind at the moment, and finances and schedules of all involved need to be considered as well, I have set a temporary goal of trekking up Mount Whitney. It’s a three day trek, requiring reservations for the camp sites on the way up, and a couple more days to acclimate at about the 8000’ level as well. I have enough time to prepare for the trip, if I stick to a strict training schedule. And I don’t expect to make it to summit on my first attempt, but heck, you never know what you can do until you try. There is also a very good chance that I won't be able to reserve space, or be chosen from the lottery. Yes, they hold a lottery for the reservations.

Besides, the training alone should prepare me for whatever goal I actually do accomplish this year. Well, that and I want to lose another 40 pounds by the end of April.

Most immediate hiking goal--perhaps a trail or two in Hawaii. Choice of trail depends on weather conditions as well as people conditions. Many of the trails I was interested in become dangerous when wet or when it rains. And we do have a friend who would like to join us on the trail. The friend's idea of a hike, I fear, is a gentle stroll through a meadow or a flat well tread trail. I could be wrong. Nevertheless, one of my tasks tonight is to pick a few trails that will allow everyone to tag along for a short distance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home