Friday, August 04, 2006

JIT

That's "just in time" for those of you who have never worked on a manufacturing floor. Yes, I know, I never have either, but I get to hear that lovely acronym several times a day. Oddly enough, from coworkers who also have never worked on a manufacturing floor, but who somehow think speaking in acronyms makes them sound important, and that they are impressing me.

I'm not impressed.

At any rate, the whole silly point is that for once jit actually worked for me. A while ago I came across a couple of light weight multi-purpose jackets that I thought might work out well for the upcoming trek in France. Of course, I couldn't decide between them, nor could I afford both. Well, not until last week when I found a too-good-to-be-true sale for both. They had my size, but not the color I wanted. Still, at those prices I decided I could wave goodbye to my colour preference.

Last night the heavier of the two jackets arrived on my doorstep. The colour wasn't as bad as I had thought and it fit, with plenty of room to spare for a sweater if needed. And this morning, running late, I rushed out the door on my way to the bus only to discover that it was raining. Not hot, muggy fog, like we've been having for the last two weeks, but actual cool rain. I had no idea where my umbrella had wandered off to and no time to waste searching for it. So I quickly swapped my over used and well loved denim jacket for the new rain jacket and headed off to work.

I arrived warm and dry.

Sometimes, jit just happens to work.

Ok, so the rain was light, but without that jacket I would have been wet and chilled all the way to work.

And that's the end of my boring story for the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home