Friday, February 17, 2006

Countrywalkers.com

Another trekking company, offering less strenuous, mostly short, day hikes with nicer hotel bases (read "less rustic") than others that have been mentioned previously. Chances are that you will have no need for a sleeping bag. The treks are designed to be accessible to generally healthy individuals from 12-80+ years. Basically, they are trekking with a bit of pampering.

I only looked at a few of these treks, but all looked interesting. They mix a good dose of site seeing with just the right amount of challenge for the non- to occassional hiker.

I could find no definition of "easy" or "moderate" hike classifications on the web site, so I took a look at a trek from the Puget Peninsula/Olympic Mountain area of Washington State--I grew up there. The trails used are among some of the easiest in the area, the most difficult being the Hurricane Ridge switchback trail, which, if you're not accustomed to doing a bit of inclined trail walking or consistant stair climbing, could feel like a bit of a challenge on the way up. If I recall correctly, this was the only part of that trek that was considered moderate, and I think it was optional. Though, if you decide to take this trek, I do recommend the view from the top of the switchback trail. The Hurricane Ridge views are popular even among the locals.

So, here's the link to Countrywalkers.com, courtesy of my friend David M. Gordon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home