Sunday, January 22, 2006

More Movies, of course

I really need to cut down on how many movies I see a week, just so my friends can have a chance to see one with me that I haven't already seen.

Matchpoint: When I see a movie for which I have not seen the trailers or heard any reviews, I never know if I am going to be pleasantly surprised or very disappointed, but, no matter what, I do not go in with any preconceived expectations. Honestly, all I had heard was that the movie had something to do with tennis (yep there was some reference to tennis), and that it was a love story. Well, I suppose it was a tragic sort of love story--the "gone wrong" kind. While there was nothing really wrong with the movie, I didn't think there was anything all that terrific about the first two thirds either. I knew something was being set up, but what I had no idea. And when the action in the last third of the movie hit, and the one obvious bit of foreshadowing from the beginning clicked into place (there was more foreshadowing, it just wasn't as obvious), I was completely taken by surprise, and at least for a moment, no longer getting very close to bored. The ending was also unexpected, a bit unsatisying, and left me hanging feeling like something was incomplete. Would I see it again? On my own, probably not, but I do have a friend who would like to see the movie. And, sometimes, on second viewing I pick up on details that I didn't the first time through, which often makes the movie all that much more enjoyable.

The New World: The life of Pocohontis from the time she met John Smith up to her death. The scenery was beautiful, the story was slow. It's not that the movie was bad, it was perhaps just a little bit too long and felt every minute of its 2+ hour length. And yet I am not certain how the story could have been portrayed differently. The romance with John Smith from its innocent beginnings up to its heartbreaking conclusion was done well, but after that the movie seemed to fizzle--not that it ever actually sparked. Ok, now that being said, I do have to add the disclaimer that I was ill the evening that I saw this movie, and becoming rapidly more so as the movie progressed, though the movie, itself, had nothing to so with that. However, my illness may have affected my judgement of the movie, though I still think it was just a tad too long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home