Tuesday, July 19, 2005

6 Days to Scotland

And I finally know that I will not be sleeping on a street corner those three seemingly unbookable days. Whew! You have no idea what a relief that is. I think we will not be using this particular travel agent for our next trip.

So my upcoming trip in a nutshell--yes, I know that's a cliche, but this is a blog, so who gives a darn. Day 1, arrive in Glasgow early morning and meet roommate's friends for ride back to Edinburgh and unknown touring schedule of their choice along with dinner. Hopefully, we will squeeze in at least one other meal. Day 2, Rosslyn Chapel and the border abbys--all very important research for one of my projects. Roommate's friends find out what it really means to go touring with two photographers--pity them--though we did warn them. Day 3, faster than light tour of Edinburgh. Day 4, early morning drive to Pitlochry and visiting of all sorts of touristry and historical stuff in the area--castles and monuments, I believe. Light day hike and communing with nature for me--all three cameras with lenses in tow, of course. Day 5, early morning drive with touristry visitations again, this time on the way to Inverness. Day 6, same hotel. Early morning meetup with tour group for a day on Skye. We were going to tour Skye on our own, but we didn't have enough time in the schedule to slowly toodle around. Day 7, faster than light drive (all 6-8 hours of it) back to Glasgow for early afternoon hotel checkin. Day 8 and 9, day tours--whatever strikes our fancy and is in easy reach by train or ferry. We'll most likely spend one day on Arran. Day 10-14, Worldcon convention with possibly another daytrip on Day 10 and another somewhere in the middle of the convention. Day 15, fly home. Day 16, back to work.

It will be interesting to see how much energy we have left after the first week. Just thinking about a trip like this makes me tired.

2 Comments:

Blogger David M Gordon said...

Zara,

Please share your thoughts, impressions, excitements, fun, and photos of Interaction. It is, after all, only fair if you are there and we are here...

d

5:56 PM  
Blogger zara elis said...

David,

I still haven't had a chance to get to the Starbuck's around the corner, but when I do I will at least try to include some photos--our schedule varied a bit.

Right now I'm typing on the pay computer in the lobby of my hotel in Glagow. I don't think I will ever get used to this UK keyboard. All the function and symbol keys are in the wrong places.

It has been raining all but one day during our trip. I've been soaked through at least 3 times. Luckily, I grew up on the Puget Peninsula--a little bit of rain will never dampen my spirits.

Today we try to tour Edinbourgh again and attend the Tattoo preview tonight. Hopefully, we will have a lot less rain this time.

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home