Monday, July 11, 2005

15 Days to Scotland

I saw a sneak preview of The Island on Saturday. This is an excellent Science Fiction movie, and one I would recommend seeing. It will make you think. I would not recommend it for anyone looking for something light hearted to raise their spirits. The movie ends on an upnote, but the subject matter is serious. That is all I will say. No spoilers here.

I was just visiting a friends newsgroup. She was lamenting "I have never reached a point in a hobby where I need the top-of-the-line gear. This saddens me." And I could not help but wonder if this should really sadden her. It would challenge me to strive to a higher goal. But then, if you finally reach the point where you require top-of-the-line equipment for your hobby, is it still really a hobby? Or has it reached the point of crossing the boundary and becoming a job?

Photography is a hobby for me, and yet I now find myself buying more and more professional level gear, simply because my semi-pro equipment cannot be pushed far enough past its limits to meet my expectations. I am approaching the point where I need to seriously consider attempting to sell my work. Friends have been telling me this for some time,--one has even gone so far as to compare one of my nature shots to the works of Georgia O'Keefe-- only now am I beginning to realize that they may have been right. Without even realizing it, I may have turned a hobby into a job. Maybe a better word would be profession.

Writing is a hobby for me as well, but one that I have never thought of as such. It is simply, like all of my other hobbies, something that I do and cannot imagine not doing.

I cannot picture life without my cameras, computers, papers and pens, and musical instruments. I even have paints and sketch pads tucked away for the day when I will have a chance to try my hand at those skills again. I cannot imagine my life without these things, but I know that if they suddenly were no longer available, if they had never come into existance at all, I would still find other ways to occupy my time and be productive. I would find other hobbies.

I wonder, if you enjoy the work you are doing, is it a job, a hobby, or both? Can it be both? Can there be aspects of a job that remain a hobby? Perhaps these are nonsensical thoughts, but spurred on by my friends statement, how can I help but ask the questions.

2 Comments:

Blogger David Forbes said...

Michael Bay has made a movie that makes you think?! That must be one of the Seven Signs of the Apocalypse....

I have heard that from other sources. Who would have thought? I'll put this on my "must see" list.

9:24 AM  
Blogger zara elis said...

I was surprised to.

You and I live in the world or science fiction and fantasy, so it may not make us think as much as it would someone who doesn't.

It is still a movie worth seeing, all the same.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home