Tuesday, December 29, 2009

More guitar

Yesterday I slowly worked my way through my very first flamenco guitar lesson, after doing a very slow review of some basic blue grass picking and discovering that I need a lot of practice with basic picking, hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Flamenco is a little closer to finger picking and classical guitar, but does have some differences. The hammer-ons and pull-offs are still a problem, but easier on a nylon stringed classical guitar than on a steel string. Today, I practiced flamenco basics for about an hour. Bar chords are very tough, but I think I can eventually master them.

I have more aching muscles in my left arm and hand than I would get from a good strength training workout. Good news--I can now play an easy version of the Malaguenas at about medium speed. It actually sounds like I know what I'm doing. :-) Who would have thought.

I had forgotten that when I was in junior high I would practice until my finger tips were bleeding and I thought my arms would fall off, just to get a simple song as perfect as I could. I'm told that stubborness and determination is a hereditary factor in my family line. Whether or not that is true, those traits have never left me. For good or bad, I always reach my goals, though some take longer than I might like.

Back to one more pass at the Malaguena, then I think my guitar could use a little bit of a rest.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katharine Eliska Kimbriel said...

Well, I'm not tuning the harp yet, but something connected to the manga idea has to happen each day. That's the 2010 rule, started on Sunday. Sketching -- must remember how to draw, if I'm going to do script and art.

I remember practicing guitar until I developed hard little calluses on my finger tips. The first guitar was a steel string I bought in the Spanish section of NYC. The second was and is a classical nylon string. Played a lot until college ended, then had no one to play with and stopped.

Wrote books instead....

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home