Sunday, November 30, 2008

Good Morning!!

Sometimes, without expecting it, we get to see a real life scene from the movies. The , "oh, that doesn't really happen" sort of every day life event that we would likely never notice if it wasn't forcefully pointed out to us..

There I was, patiently waiting in front of the Starbuck's counter for the early morning hot drink, venti size, of course. Some people need their early morning wake up cal, though I must admit that it doesn't seem to be doing much for my room-mate. Do you suppose that you actually have to open your eyes and ingest the stuff for it to work?

Anyway, back to the tale at hand, Short though it may be. There I was, minding my own business, while waiting for my order to be called, when along came a cute elderly couple. Both completely grey and looking fabulous all the same. Matching glasses, matching jackets, matching in every way, except height. She was at least a foot and a half shorter. When, suddenly, they stopped and both mumbled something about things not looking quite right this morning. Then they both smiled, looked at each other, took off their glasses, swapped and settled the new pair upon the delicate frame of their noses. Smiled again, nodded their heads, and with a united "ah, that's much better", headed off toward the hotel restaurant that had been their goal before their vision cleared. I could not help but smile and silently giggle ( I didn't want them to hear and disturb the moment).

It's nothing much, not really. And yet it is. It's little moments in time like that, even just a nod of the head and a knowing smile between two people, friends, intimates, or both, that make up a portion of the happy sides of our lives. There are larger events too, seemingly more important and perhaps they are, but they come along rarely in comparison. I cannot help but wonder if the little things, the events we do not notice unless placed sharply in front of our noses (and our eyes) are the more important ones. They happen every day, subtly effecting and shaping our lives, strengthening our bonds and leaving lifelong impressions without our even being aware, but if they were not there, I think we would all notice the emptiness their lack left behind.

2 Comments:

Blogger David M Gordon said...

One of life's graces is to grow old together; to fit together as a hand eases into a glove, slowly, easily, caressingly, comfortably.

Thank you for sharing this incident that I believe most people would have missed altogether.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lovely moment -- thank you for sharing. I hope that can be me someday (although I'm going to wear a lot of purple, and he may not like purple.)

I hope this means that you are no longer in danger from either fire or illness!++

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home