Tuesday, November 21, 2006

On-line Journals

I was wondering just a few moments ago, how many people actually keep their journals on-line these days. I'm not talking about blogs, though granted there are people who use these just as they would a paper journal, but an actual journal that is most likely not publically accessible.

I do. I check every now and then to make certain that it is still private by googling it. So far, so good. Though, quite honestly, if anyone did find my meager entries they would be bored out of their gourd. My life and my thoughts simply are not that interesting.

I protect the privacy of those who are closest to me by using code names--no actual names for them. Others, I use only their first name.

But why bother putting my most, or at least more personal thoughts and events in my life on-line where, with a bit of luck, someone might stumble on to them? Maybe I like the challenge of trying to hide? Well, no, not really. I was never very good at hide-n-seek, though I'm pretty good at keeping secrets.

No, the reason I put my journal on the web is because I had thought at the time that I might allow others to share and comment. So far, I haven't invited anyone in. I continue to write just for myself, and would do so if someone else was reading as well. And, when it comes right down to it, there is probably nothing in my journal that I wouldn't be willing to share with someone else anyway.

Some people keep journals for historic or genealogical purposes. For me they are more therapeutic. My journals are my sounding boards. A place to think things through before expressing them to the rest of the world, or at least my friends. Unfortunately, I don't always do this and it shows when I don't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home