Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Hmmm

While at WFC, a fellow author and I discovered that there is the very slight chance that we might be related. That's what knowing something about genealogy will get you--new relations every time you turn around. :-) Heck, crazier things have happened, so, yes, as soon as I get a chance, I will crossmatch our family names and see what I can come up with. As large as my family is I could be related to half the US and never know it.

My own parents didn't know they were close cousins until after I was born. And they grew up within a few miles of each other. The Catholic church, I'm told, frowns on marriages between anything less than third cousins. Actually, so did a lot of members of my family--procreate to your hearts content, go forth, be fruitful and multiply, but do not do it with thy cousins.

Yet, here I sit, cousin and daughter to my parents, cousin and niece to my aunts and uncles. And I don't even want to know my actual relation to my grandparents, who were related to each other themselves (no doubt). It makes my head hurt to try to figure out all my multiplicity of relations, where most people only have one. My family tree has many curved and twisted branches. Ain't inbreeding grand. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home