Friday, November 03, 2006

WFC

Yep, it's that time again. The 4 days of the year when I get to pretend and act like I am a writer. That means late night parties, award ceremonies, and long thought provoking, conversation filled days in the hotel bar. And lots and lots of networking at all occassions.

By some twist of fate, I ended up on the concierge floor of the hotel. This, like flying first class, is a first for me, and quite probably the only time it will ever happen. I am graciously accepting and appreciating the enhanced service and the larger room. And I really don't mind that the concierge has taken a liking to me and my roommate. We have more snacks and drinks stock piled in our room than any guest could possibly want or deserve. I can guarantee that we won't be able to finish them up before we leave, nor do I intend to try. Today was the beginning of my 28 day workout and firm up program. And I intend to fit in at least one workout (possibly two today)each day we are here. It will be interesting to see if the workout actually does what it claims to do. Of course, I will need to continue to watch my diet as well. Not an easy thing to do at a convention.

We received the usual goodie bag of books at registration. The bag is actually quite nice this year and very useable as a carryon for future trips. It even has a cell phone pocket and water bottle catch. So what was in the bag this year? Well every bag has slightly different contents, but here's what I got.

Nocturne--a pb paranormal romance sampler from Silhouette

Urban Noir--a pb paranormal fantasy sampler from Ace and Roc

A Princess of Roumania by Paul Park--pb 2005 ( I think I have the hardback at home somewhere, or maybe it's just another copy with a different cover?)

Cross Plains Universe--a tp anthology celebrating Robert E. Howard

Pandora Drive by Tim Waggoner--pb 2006

Waters Luminous and Deep by Meredith Ann Price-- pb, 2004/2005 depending on publisher, short fiction tales

F&SF--issue Feb 2006

The Black Tatoo by Sam Enthoven--tp 2006 (advanced readers copy, also known as review copy)

The Silver Bough by Lisa Tuttle--hb 2006

The Lost District and other stories by Joel Lane--tp 2006

Genetopia by Keith Brooke--hb 2006

The Fair Folk edited by Marvin Kaye--hb anthology 2005

Conan, The Toad--comic book

Phantom--a new zine issued by Wildside Press, for which I cannot locate the submission guidelines.

And there are a couple of pamphlet samplers that have probably been given out at every convention this year too.

I won't know if this is a good or bad haul until I start reading. If you're interested in any of the books let me know

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home