Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I'm thinking about another trip...

Anyone want to join me??

Ok, so this is where I want to go--Everest Base Camp Trek.

Yes, that says Everest.

Am I up to it? Well, not now. Of course, not now. I think I would need about 2 years of nearly daily preparation. Preparation includes strength and endurance training as well as weight loss. Oh, and I have to find a nearby peak that would be a real challenge, both in steepness and in altitude. And I believe in making things even more difficult by carrying a heavier pack than I would actually need to be able to lift on the trail. Oh, and I haven't camped out in a while, so I would need to do that a few times too.

I've heard that Turtlehead Peak outside Las Vegas, while not all that high, is a nice steep climb over a very short distance. And altitude-wise, there are a few peaks around here, though I wouldn't recommend them during the winter months.

I'd also need about 2 years to locate all the right equipment at a not too costly price, and break it in.

So, anyone interested in going with me? It's good to have a travelling companion to encourage you to keep training. We all hit that point when we just feel like giving up. I can think of at least one person who I know who would really like to do Everest. Maybe he'd settle for the base camp trek? Oh, and don't forget, you need a month (4 weeks) vacation time from your day job.

Preliminary date of travel--2 to 2.5 years from now.

And yes, at least for now, I think I am serious about this. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home