Wednesday, April 12, 2006

So, did I tell you...

the latest saga of the search for the perfect hiking shoe? Well, actually, thanks to David G., and an excellent price at Sport Chalet a few months ago, after 3 weeks of trying to find a pair in my size, I thought the search was over. My lovely light weight, perfect fitting Merrell Chameleon Ventilator II shoes (in taupe, of course) were wonderful, well broken in and had survived three dunkings--the latest of which they were still drying out from Monday evening. Last night I went to check to see if they were dry enough to brush off and put away. Well, they weren't quite dry. They also weren't quite where I had left them.

My roommate had been ordered out of town on a business trip at the last minute and had rushed home to pack. My shoes, now a few feet away from where I had left them, had probably managed to get in his way as he was flying through the house gathering his belongings. No problem, I thought. I'll just retrieve them, check them and put them away properly. Problem--not only were the shoes not quite dry, they were also not quite whole. They'd been eaten.

No, not by the dog. And definitely not by the bird. It seems our annual summer rodent migration has begun a little early this year, much to the agony of every one of my suitcases, a few of my book bags, my computer bag, a couple of camera bags, and now my hiking shoes.

So, now I must go through the long, painstaking search for another pair of women's, 8.5 Merrell Chameleon Ventillator II's in taupe and hopefully at the same price or less than I payed for the first pair. Sport Chalet doesn't have them, at least nowhere in SoCal. They're too expensive at REI, though they will most likely have a pair. I can't wait 3 weeks for another new pair. I really need them this weekend, if at all possible. So I guess it's off to the web I go hunting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home