Friday, March 31, 2006

Hmmm....

I thought I had mentioned this before, but I can't find it anywhere.

At this point, it looks like I will be going on a hike in France in early September.

I'm actually looking forward to this treck, both for the hike and the sites. One of the stops, Rennes le Chateau, is vaguely related to Rosslyn Chapel in Scotland. Both were mentioned in the Da Vinci Code and are said to have a connection with the Templars and possibly the Holy Grail. Whether any of this is true or not, it is history of a sort, and history of all types fascinates me.

So, now I struggle to get my fat slovenly body into condition in time for an extended hike. A task made all the more challenging by the late SoCal winter. Three out of four weekends in a row now we have had rain, which means lower snow levels in the mountains and flash flood warnings. And that means no conditioning hikes and no mountain hiking for me this weekend, once again. Well, there's the possibility of a hike on Sunday if Monday's storm doesn't decide to come in early. The alternatives--speed hiking at the local nature trail (with a weighted pack to make it more challenging), or incline training on the treadmill at the gym. The gym won't let me wear a pack while on the treadmill. It's considered to be "street clothing".

On another note, for any women out there that have been looking for a good technical day pack, there are two in the Jansport line that I really like. The Luna (25 liter) and the Penelope (35 liter). Both are hydration pack ready, and also offer the ability to carry two 1 liter (1 quart) water bottles. Ok, these are not exactly inexpensive packs, and I'm not really fond of the bright girly colours, but if you're not picky about the colour and you're willing to do some looking around, it is possible to get these packs for approximately half the retail price. I did. And, honestly, I don't know if it's the fact that these packs were designed specifically for women or if I've just learned to balance the load better, but for a change my back and shoulders do not hurt at the end of a long day of hiking. In fact, most of the time I don't even notice that I am wearing a pack. I can't say that about the pack I carry to work five days a week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home