Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Learn a new language or two

Why not? Actually, I have quite a collection of language books and tapes. I rarely have time to study, but I love solving puzzles and languages are one of the most interesting puzzles I know of. My latest addition, yet to be unwrapped is a learn Croation book and cd set. Why not Albanian? Well, I haven't come across a book yet. Most likely I will have to order one. Though, I read somewhere, that most Albanians have picked up Italian from watching television, and that the next language behind that is English. Hmmm, not only do I know someone who is fluent in Italian, but, yep you guessed it, I just happen to have a book or two on basic Italian.

Here's a phrase, in Croatian,that at least one of my friends will find very helpful (if he ever visits Croatia, that is).

Gdje je mjesni?
(gdye ye mye-snee?)
Translation: Where is the local internet cafe?

If you are thinking, gee that sounds a lot like a slavic language (I know I did), well, you would be correct. Croatian is a break off of the slavic tongue with a few external influences--latin from the reign of Charlemagne and the catholic church, and turkish from the days of Turkish rule. They adopted the roman alphabet under Charlemagnes rule, rather than the cyrilic. And, of course, that slavic influence caught my attention right away. My third language, of which I remember little other than pronounciation and how to read the alphabet, was russian.

Anyway, if you're interested, here are a couple of selections to get you started. Actually, there aren't many out there to choose from.

Teach Yourself Croatian, available with or without cds. From the teach yourself series, of course. And the Croatian Phrasebook, though a little behind the times at least as far as digital photography is concerned, from lonelyplanet.com. I'll add the links later tonight, right now I have to speed off to another day of work.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home